September 10th, 2020
BIRCHWOOD FOUR CORNERS EMERGENCY SERVICES DISTRICT
BFCESD PO Box 417, Birchwood, WI 54817
Jon Sleik-Town of Birchwood-PRESENT, Ken Leners-Town of Cedar Lake-PRESENT, Timothy Stearns-Town of Doyle-PRESENT, Bill Zimmer-Town of Edgewater-PRESENT, Mick Givens-Town of Long Lake-PRESENT, Cindy Fairchild-Town of Wilson-PRESENT, John Depoister-Village of Birchwood-PRESENT
Birchwood Four Corners Emergency Services District will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 6:30 PM, Birchwood School Commons
BFCESD SEPT 10, 2020 MEETING MINUTES-(APPROVED 10-8-2020)
- Roll Call-See above
- Tim Stearns made a motion to approve the Aug 10, 2020 BFCESD Meeting
Minutes with the change of #5 to 6 yea, 1 nay, 2nd by John Depoister,
- Public Input—Tony questioned his motion that didn’t get a 2nd wasn’t mentioned in the minutes.
Linda Zillmer-? on why two townships that don’t participate in Amb can vote on items for the Ambulance. Would like everyone to take time to read the letter she handed out regarding the WI Statue Book for Towns.
- Fire Department Report—See Attached
- Ambulance Service Report—See Attached
- John Depoister made a motion to Approve donations the of $28,332.97 to the Building Fund Acct that were received since the Aug 10, 2020 meeting, 2nd by Tim Stearns, carried 7-0.
- Update from Building Committee—
**Main points of discussion: My discovery of our agreement with Northwest Builders committing us to use them to manage the project. Completing site grading work in 2021 and constructing the building in a subsequent year to provide more time for fundraising. Rough budgeting expectations: $450,000 for the site work and $1.5 million for the building. The possibility of minimizing finishings inside the new building to reduce costs. Finishings could be completed later
- Discussion was made on whether to start construction of the new building prior to raising the total cost of the project. Jon Sleik made a motion to authorize Bill Zimmer to spend up to $30,000 to proceed with his work on getting estimates for 2021 site work & Building work in 2022 with NWB. 2nd by Tim Stearns, carried 6-1
Town of Birchwood– Yea Town of Doyle—Yea Town of Long Lake— Yea Village of Birchwood–Yea Town of Cedar Lake—Nay Town of Edgewater—Yea Town of Wilson—Yea
- Discussion was made and agreement to wait on setting times of promissory note payments until Oct meeting when Bill Zimmer gets a better idea of the time line of construction and cost.
- Report from BFCESD Bylaws Development Committee, discussion of updated Constitution and By-laws was made and agreed by Commissioners to postpone voting until Oct 2020 meeting
- Discussion and vote on whether to increase the SAP match for Firefighters and EMT’s for the interest ($1,376.69) forfeited by the sponsor change. Ken Leners made a motion to increase the SAP payments made by the Fire and Ambulance Dept. by $1,376.69 when match comes out and prorate it between the eligible participants from the budget retirement amounts, 2nd by Tim Stearns, Carried 7-0
Town of Birchwood– Yea
Town of Doyle—Yea
Town of Long Lake— Yea
Village of Birchwood–Yea
- Discussion was made on what action to take regarding Cedar Lake’s failure to pay their 2020 assessment. Ken Leners made a motion to add that all members must be residence of the Township/Village they represent to the bylaws. No second Tim Stearns made a motion to send the letter from Attorney Kohler to Town of Cedar Lake for non-payment of Assessment Dues plus late fees. 1st half due Jan 31, 2020, 2nd half due April 30, 2020, 2nd by Bill Zimmer, Carried 6-1 Town of Birchwood– Yea Town of Doyle—Yea Town of Long Lake— Yea Village of Birchwood–Yea Town of Cedar Lake—Nay Town of Edgewater—Yea Town of Wilson—Yea Town of Cedar Lake—Yea Town of Edgewater—Yea Town of Wilson—Yea
- Tim Stearns made a motion to Approve Bookkeepers report as presented, 2nd by John Depoister, Carried 7-0
Tim Stearns made a motion to approve bills as presented, 2nd by John Depoister, Carried 7-0
- Correspondence- was reviewed in previous items 15. Commissioners Input
Ken Leners—Town of Cedar Lake—Want Linda Zillmer correspondence included in minutes and is there an update on the webpage.
Tim Stearns—Town of Doyle—agrees with John Depoister and was glad to have him speak up and I total agree.
Bill Zimmer—Town of Edgewater—Roads are now open. Addition to bylaws is voting authorities that don’t participate in Ambulance we should define that. And to have the 2019 Ambulance runs for Edgewater sent him.
Jon Sleik—I’d like to say it’s a really sad day and I’d like to shout out to Ken and Vince to keep doing a good job.
Mick Givens—Town of Long Lake— Hopes Cedar Lake pays and that we don’t lose the Moral of the group
Cindy Fairchild—Town of Wilson—Will send a link to the website for all to send feedback. I will send it to Raney Day Design.
John Depoister—Village of Birchwood—after spending 20 yrs. on the Fire Dept. and being in the position of Sec/Tres for most of those years, when they everyone wanted to start a District to take care of our Fire Dept .we all thought it was a great idea, I’m thinking if I guys looked at this right now they wouldn’t think this was such a great idea now. Because in all of our groups I’ve served I’ve never heard our groups call insubordinate entity or group. The reason I wanted to see this District was to see our Fire and Ambulance services grow and to get what we needed and to take care of what we needed. At the time I wasn’t the Village President but I still don’t agree that one entity should have had total control and I still don’t believe not one should have control over what everyone else does, that’s how it was when the Village ran it and everyone thought the District was the greatest thing and now I don’t feel it’s the greatest thing anymore. When we’re having infighting that’s going to make it to the front page of the Chronotype and hurt our Fire fighters the hell to us, we’re going to look bad. It’s going to hurt in the long run, it’s going to hurt our donations for this Building, it’s these guys. We’re not losing, their loosing.
- Tim Stearns made a motion to Adjourn @ 9:20 p.m., 2nd by John Depoister, carried 7-0
Download Relevant Documents:
The BFCESD Office is handicap accessible. If you have special needs regarding attendance please call
715 354 3003.
A quorum of board members from each municipality may be present. No actions will be taken by any participating governmental body other than those stated in this notice.