January 9th, 2020
BIRCHWOOD FOUR CORNERS EMERGENCY SERVICES DISTRICT
BFCESD PO Box 417, Birchwood, WI 54817
Jon Sleik-Town of Birchwood–Present, Ken Leners-Town of Cedar Lake–Present, Timothy Stearns-Town of Doyle–Present, Pete Baribeau-Town of Edgewater–Present, Mick Givens-Town of Long Lake–Present, Cindy Fairchild-Town of Wilson–Present, John Depoister-Village of Birchwood–Present
AMENDED-BFCESD JAN 9, 2020 MEETING MINUTES APPROVED 2/13/2020
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Roll Call—See Above
- Tim Stearns made a motion to approve the Dec 12, 2019 Meeting Minutes, 2nd by John Depoister , carried
- Public Input—Linda Zillmer-wanted to thank Cedar Lake for posting agenda etc. on their web site. Thanked Bumper for going to Edgewater and answering their concerns and for providing info on the building. Concerns on if the building bids include everything or if in the end the entities will be responsible for cost not presented in the bids, such as second set of doors, wash bay etc. Question on if in the bylaws there will be info regarding sponsorship of Retirement for Fire and Ambulance. Vince Fairchild—wants everyone to go home and look yourself in the mirror and see if you’re doing everything you can to help with the progress of the new building.
- Fire Department Report, see attached
- Ambulance Service Report, see attached
- Tim Stearns made a motion Approve donations that were received since the last meeting of $4,240.00 to the Building Fund and $25,500.00 to the Brick Donations for a total of $29,740.00, 2nd by John Depoister , carried.
- After discussion regarding Assigning new sponsor for BFCESD Service Award Program (LOSA) to be out sourced or keeping it by one of the entities. Ken would like to see it added to the By-laws regarding rotation. Ken has offered to work with whoever takes on the Sponsorship. Tim Stearns made a motion to be tabled until Feb 13, 2020 meeting regarding Assigning new sponsor for BFCESD Service Award Program (LOSA) to 2nd by Ken Leners, carried.
- Mick Givens reported that the BFCESD Bylaws Development Committee met on Jan 3, 2020 at 6pm at the BFCESD office. Reviewed the background binder of the BFCESD and Fire and Ambulance bylaws as presented. There was a question on the Fire and Ambulance bylaws being brought to the BFCESD board for approval. Jon Sleik asked if they had a timeline for completion on the Bylaws. Committee will meet again on Feb 3, 2020 at 6 pm plan is to get put together an examples to be presented to the BFCESD Board on Feb 13, 2020.
- Don Bergstrom reported that he’s waiting until a response back from the Town of Edgewater and will set a date for next Building Committee meeting when he gets that. Pete Baribeau expressed that Bill Zimmer was very interested in taking Dean Buresh’s position on the Building committee. The Cleveland’s have extended the date of the matching grant and asked if we were a tax exempt entity.
- Mick Givens made a motion to approve Bookkeepers report, 2nd by Tim Stearns, carried. Mick Givens made a motion to approve bills as presented, 2nd by Tim Stearns, Carried
- Review Correspondence, Jon Sleik presented the information on a new CPA beings Dan Thole retired on Jan 1, 2020. Brandon Willger from Two Rivers Accounting LLC. Sent a proposal of two options. Brandon worked with Dan Thole doing previous audits and is familiar with the BFCESD. This will be put on Feb 13, 2020 agenda for approval.
- Commissioners Input
Ken Leners-Town of Cedar Lake—Asked that when a commissioner submits an item to be placed on an upcoming meeting agenda, the item is placed there and no other commissioner has the authority to deny that action. Residency requirements. Three of the seven commissioners are currently non-residents of the municipalities they represent. The BFCESD is a sub-government unit of the seven municipalities that comprise the district and, therefore, should replicate residency requirements that are enforced at each municipality. The BFCESD has three options:
- Avoid the issue by not addressing it.
- Allow non-resident to serve as a Commissioner with voting rights
- Allow Non-resident to serve as a Commissioner without voting rights
Mick Givens-Town of Long Lake— it’s normal to have differences. Mick has offered to help with building a web site for the BFCESD to help keep info up to date for residences of each entity to view with links to each entity web sites.
Tim Stearns-Town of Doyle—Nothing
Jon Sleik-Town of Birchwood—asked each entity to consider sponsoring the LOSA and to think of potential people to contact regarding donations for the new building project.
Cindy Fairchild-Town of Wilson—Nothing
John Depoister-Village of Birchwood—Bylaws are in the works and hoping to have something solid in a few months.
Pete Baribeau-Town of Edgewater—wanted to thank Don Bergstrom for attending their meeting regarding the building plans and that they have a much better understanding.
14. Mick Givens made a motion to Adjourn @ 8:00pm, 2nd by Tim Stearns, Carried
The BFCESD Office is handicap accessible. If you have special needs regarding attendance please call
715 354 3003.
A quorum of board members from each municipality may be present. No actions will be taken by any participating governmental body other than those stated in this notice.